.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

The First...

Today I took the girls to the pediatrician for something other than a well-check. It was the first time...ever. In a way I'm kind of bummed that their perfect record is over, :) but mostly I am glad I went. I think it's a law that if you call and make a Dr. appointment, your children get better. Makenna had a fever no lower than 100 (even with medication) and up to 104.3 for the past 4 days - I make a Dr. appointment this morning and what do you know, 98.8! It's a curse because then you feel stupid at the office and feel like you need to say, "no really, I swear she has been sick!" Today that thought only lasted a minute until he looked in Kenna's ears and said, "Wow, she has a rip-roaring ear infection!" He followed that by, "you'll probably have a sleepless night tonight with the looks of this one." To be honest, I highly doubt that. For some reason my children do not complain about being sick! Yes Kenna has had a fever and both girls have had terrible coughs and runny noses, but you'd never guess it by the energy they have had. A few minutes later I asked Kenna if her ear hurt, she said "nope" and kept right on exploring the doctors office. I sure have tough girls!

I also have to say how proud I am of Makenna! I've said before that Nate is in finals week, so yesterday I told Kenna & Sage we should say a prayer for daddy to do well on his test. Both girls folded their arms and I started saying a prayer. About 3 words in, Kenna said "I want to say it by myself". She's been saying prayers for a while, just repeating what we say, but has never prayed on her own. I said "okay, go ahead", thinking "this ought to be interesting"! She then proceeded to absolutely amaze me. Not only did she say a FULL prayer from start to finish on her own, she even remembered to pray for her daddy! I literally got teary-eyed, I was so proud of her. I told Nate he'd probably get extra blessings from a prayer straight from a 2 year-old. :) That night at dinner, we asked if she'd like to pray again (mostly so Nate could hear). She said yes and did it again!! She prayed for our food (also thanking Heavenly Father for everyone's water...individually), gave thanks for each member of our family, prayed that we would have a good rest and of course have fun! I think it was the cutest thing I have ever heard in my entire life. Nate and I both were fighting back tears, we were so proud! It's a special experience hearing your child pray by themselves for the first time. I definitely won't forget it.

Two more of my favorite recent experiences:
* While driving in the car Kenna said - "Mommy, I'm using my 'magination!"
* The girls were playing with cards as I cooked dinner...thinking I couldn't see them. First they dumped them all out. Then Kenna turned to Sage and said, "Okay we better clean this mess up." Sage proceeded to pick up each card one at a time and hand them to Kenna. Each time Kenna would say "thank you" followed by "you are being such a good helper"! Again...a little mommy!

One more thing I have to write about...Today I did Sage's hair in a twisted back hairdo secured by a bobby pin. When she woke up, this is what it looked like:

I honestly did not touch it...she woke up with a perfect mohawk! Unfortunately, she can now reach every part of her head and no hairdo survives the day. :) Oh well, she looks cute no matter what!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your sweet comment Brooke :) Also, I couldn't help but laugh when I read this last blog of yours...I can't tell you how MUCH I agree that children seem to get better as soon as you think "Oh, I should make an appointment". I haven't decided yet whether the magic happens through the phone line as the call is placed, or shoots up through their toes as you're walking through the doors of the doctor's office! It's truly a modern mystery...lol And goodness, the number of times that Tara will have been miserable for days leading up to the doctor's visit-and then acts not just normal, but joyful and energetic once we get there! Last time I was laughing so hard because Sean was holding Tara on his lap saying "Come on Tara baby-at least ACT sick for the next few minutes while the doctor is here, so that mommy and daddy don't look like complete idiots!" What good parents we are...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my! I didnt know it was that bad. Your poor girls. Glad that you guys are better and we can hang out now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...you have really tough girls! I'm hope they feel better. I love reading your blog! I swear you always have the cutest things to say and I love to read the funny things your girls do. You have such a cute family. I hope we can see guys soon. :)

    ReplyDelete