.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Beach Birthday!

Last weekend we celebrated my birthday with a fabulous vacation to the coast!  Our friends Bryce and Melissa Huff called us and said they had a free beach house for the weekend and invited us and our other friends, the Johnson's, to join them in Waldport.  (I know....we have pretty amazing friends!)  On Friday, my other amazing friend Chelsea invited the girls and I over to her house for a gourmet birthday breakfast.  Then I spent the day relaxing and enjoying my two cute girls singing "Happy Birthday" to me over and over while I packed us up for the weekend.  At 5:00 we picked up Nate and were on our way!

On Saturday, we spend the morning playing on the beach.  It was a beautiful day and we had a blast digging in the sand, playing Frisbee and running from the waves.  I think my girls definitely got their dad's genes though. The water was so freezing that it hurt my feet to stand in it.  Sage and Makenna however, were running and splashing in it like it might be warm.  Sage would grab my finger and pull me into the water, I'd try to stand the pain for a few minutes then talk her into going to play in the sand.  That was repeated a few times until I finally sent her to her dad (who was almost waist deep searching for sand crabs and shrimp with Bryce - like I said, dad's genes!).  That afternoon we went to a local seafood joint (the Salty Dawg - interesting name if you ask me) and got fresh fish & chips and clam chowder.  It was delicious!  For the afternoon, the guys (Nate, Bryce and Ross) ditched their wives and children to go crabbing.  In all honesty, we sent them out and they were really excited about it!  None of them had any previous experience, but they found a bunch of crabbing traps in the beach-house garage, looked up a few tips on the internet and set off on their adventure!  Despite their lack of experience, and the strange looks they got from the on-looking seasoned crabbers, they did really well!  Apparently you have to throw back all females and any males smaller than 5 3/4", so while they caught many delicious looking crabs, they were only able to bring home 2 of them.  Still pretty successful in my opinion!  They came home and immediately cooked them up with their dinner.  Can't get fresher than that!  Overall I think they had a great time.  After the kids went to bed, we ate birthday cake (thanks Melissa!) and played games.  Sunday morning we ate a delicious breakfast, packed up and made it home in time for church!  What a fabulous way to spend the weekend!

Birthday breakfast at the Belton's!
After we got home Kenna went upstairs. After a little while I went up and found that she had gotten out the DVD player, turned on P90X and was working out. :) Check out those awesome push-ups!

Getting ready for bed
After the kids went to bed, we stayed up way too late...and eventually all fell asleep watching a movie!

Glad I wasn't the only one. :)  Bryce & Melissa were whipped, too!
Lovin' the sand!


Kenna was so brave to hold the giant sand crab Nate caught - I wouldn't touch it!




Getting ready to head out crabbing (think they had enough gear?!).


This is one of the crabs they cooked up.  Personally I don't like to see my food alive before I eat it!
The whole crew! We took this Sunday morning before we left so half of us are still in pj's. (Of course you only think to take a picture right before heading home!)
There's Bryce, Melissa, Calvin & Simon Huff * our family * Ross, Stacia, Logan & Keadon Johnson.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great birthday! We sure miss you and are glad that you have good friends to party with! I love the pictures, the two sepia ones could be christmas cards! Love the blog and love you guys!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I didn't know you took a picture of us sleeping :) We had a ton of fun. Too bad we are leaving. But we will have some adventures when you come to visit in Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun birthday/beach party! I miss you Brooke! I hope you're having a super fun summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like so much fun! You have a beautiful family :)

    ReplyDelete