.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Potty training and other experiences with little girls!

Have I said that my girls are getting big?  Because I swear I blinked and I have 2 little ladies.  Sage is now officially potty trained at 22 months and is looking so big in underwear!  We did the 3-day program with her as well and she did great.  She had been wanting to go on the potty for quite some time (always copying her big sister!) and was very ready to make the jump.  It goes so much smoother with the second child – she had a great example to follow.  Way to go Sage! 

Lately my girls have also been making me smile with the things they say.  They are getting so big and come up with the funniest things.  For instance, the other day Nate told Kenna a secret and made her pinky swear not to tell me. (Something like they were going to sneak ice cream after dinner.) Of course she isn’t very good at keeping secrets, and doesn’t have a clue what a pinky swear means.  We had to run an errand so Kenna and I hopped in the car and, being the sneaky mom I am, I tried to get her to tell me the secret.  By then she had totally forgotten what the secret even was, but was very concerned that she and her dad had a “Pinky Square”.  I laughed, trying to explain to her what it means to pinky SWEAR, but she insisted that she needed to get home to find the pinky square with her dad.  What a cutie!   She also has become very observant.  She has learned the traffic signals and the other day all of a sudden shouted “Dad, don’t drive, it’s RED!”  It took both of us by surprise, and then Nate had to explain that it is okay to turn right if the light is red as long as you stop and make sure no cars are coming.  We might have a little backseat driver on our hands!  Sage gave me a pretty awkward experience at the grocery store the other day.  We were at Winco and ran into a black gentleman in one of those motorized shopping cart/scooters.  He was very friendly and kept making comments to the girls as we went past him.  As we went to check-out, he ended up being right behind us in line.  I started loading things on the belt & left Sage in the seat in the front of the cart, facing the black guy.  All of a sudden Sage burst in to hysterical sobs and was literally screaming “SCARY”!!!  Of course I picked her up and tried to quiet her down so he wouldn’t feel bad, but she kept right on.  If she even looked in his direction, a new wave of cries and tears would come, along with shouts of “scary”.  It was one of those experiences where you just want to die as a mom!  To give her credit, he was very dark in complexion and she hasn’t been around many African Americans.  He also was trying to be friendly by making faces at her, which were a little bit creepy.   Nevertheless, I was horrified by her outburst and was hoping he didn’t feel bad.  Luckily the checker said “Oh how sweet that she’s so concerned about saying sorry!”  I can only hope that gentleman also thought she was screaming “sorry” rather than “scary”!  While I felt bad, it was kind of humorous…and I’m guessing it won’t be the last time I am humiliated at the grocery store!

Kenna also cracked me up the other day with our conversation in the car.  It went like this:
Me: “See ya later!”
Kenna: “Mom, you can’t say ‘see ya later’.
Me: “Why not?”
Kenna: “You’re too old to say that.”
Me: “Hmm, so what should I say?”
Kenna: “Only something nice like ‘hello’.”

So is it just a rule that parents are always old to their kids, no matter how old they actually are?  I have to admit I feel a little old having a daughter that comes up with things like that!  Oh there is never a dull moment with girls like these…




1 comment:

  1. Okay, Kenna NEVER ceases to crack me up! Lol what a fun girl.

    ReplyDelete