.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Blackberry heaven!

I have a new-found love in Eugene…blackberry picking!  Blackberries grow wild here and I have just recently been introduced to the fantastic opportunity of picking them.  Where has this been for the past 2 years we’ve been here?!!  My great friend Teresa took me to a huge field near Mt. Pisgah where blackberry bushes are in abundance.  We spent a couple hours one afternoon & I got a bucketful of delicious, free fruit.  After that I was hooked!  The next Sunday afternoon we went as a family with our good friends, the Johnsons & brought home another load of deliciousness.  The kids had a great time, although I think they all ate as many berries as got put in our buckets.  Nate didn’t have a bucket, so while I was on the other side of the bush with ours, he started using his shirt to load up the berries.  Sage saw this fine example and followed right along…except that she put the berries down her shirt where they got lovingly smashed against her tummy.  :)  Her skin was literally dyed purple for a few days…not to mention her shirt!  Kenna did a great job picking, although she came away with quite the battle wounds.  The one downside of blackberry picking is that the bushes are mean!  They are thorn-laden and of course the best berries are on the inside so you have to sacrifice your arm to the thorns to get them.  Both girls came home with giant scratches all over their legs and arms, but of course never a complaint.  We all had a really fun time!  When we got home, we washed and froze them and are now enjoying endless blackberry shakes, fruit parfaits & cereal with blackberries.  Now I want to get more to make some jam.  This could get addicting…





No comments:

Post a Comment