.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Playing Catch-up

The past few weeks have been a busy blur, and I can’t say I’m sorry to see them gone.  Is it bad to say I’m really looking forward to Nate’s graduation in a few months?  These past few years of law school have given us lots of fun times, but I’m ready for a new stage of busyness!  We thought this last semester would be pretty laid back and we could just ride out the last few classes and be good to go…unfortunately that’s not been the case.  Nate is running the client counseling competition for the Moot Court board and has had to attend a couple of practices a week in preparation.  On those nights he doesn’t get home till nearly 9:30 so he’s gone before the girls wake up & not home till after they’re asleep.  He also is participating in a domestic violence clinic where he essentially acts as an attorney (under the direction of an attorney) for real clients with real cases through Legal Aid.  I think it will be really good experience for him, but it takes A LOT of work on his own time.  Kind of frustrating for a pass/fail class.  On top of that, he’s been working on BAR applications which are ridiculously intensive and want every detail from every aspect of your life.  Add on regular classes, a job and trying to network for the job-hunt and you’ve got one very overworked and overburdened Nate!  He’s been great to also make time for the girls and I (when he has it!), but sometimes I feel guilty taking that precious time…even though it is my lifeline!  Being pregnant while caring for two little girls and a seemingly never-ending to-do list makes me appreciate, and cling to, every minute I have with my wonderful husband.  Yep…definitely ready for law school to be over! 

On another note, we have had some great times over the past few weeks.  Nate and I were able to go to the Portland Temple together which was fantastic.  It’s a 4-hour round-trip drive, which gave us lots of time to talk and talk!   And of course being in the temple is always a wonderful experience, especially one as beautiful as Portland.  We’ve also been able to celebrate several close friends’ birthdays, including a surprise birthday for our great friend Zac Harris in which Nate had to act as the diversion for the surprise!  Nate & Zac are both on a basketball team that had a game the night of the party.  Nate called Zac & offered him a ride and then “got stuck in traffic” on his way to pick him up.  They also had to make a “quick detour” to the church to get another teammates’ basketball shoes from his wife who was “having a playdate with the other wives” there.  Zac was pretty ticked with Nate for making them late for their game – that is until he got into the church & realized they weren’t going to be making the game at all!  Happy 30th birthday Zac! 

The girls have been as busy, naughty and fun as ever the past few weeks!  We discovered how squishy our bed is after one night when Kenna had a bad dream & ended up in our bed (a very rare occasion!).  Now that they share a room, Sage woke up unhappy to find herself alone & joined the party in our bed.  Nate & I were too tired to take them back to their room so we spent a very restless night with two adults, two kids and one pregnant belly in a queen bed.  Not the best equation for a good night’s sleep!  The girls have also been in a “Diego” phase.  They love to watch the cartoon, but love even more to play that they are Diego & Alicia rescuing all the animals in our house.  It is so cute to hear them play, and literally that game keeps them busy for hours (in fact that is what they are doing right now!). :)  Beside the fact that every animal from their biggest stuffed animals to their tiniest rubber frogs get pulled out to be rescued, it is an awesome activity.  I am amazed at how focused they get and never fail to call each other by their make-believe names.  It just makes me laugh when for the rest of the night they insist that I call them Alicia or Diego (doesn’t phase them one bit that Diego is a boy)!  What goofy kids!

They are also very in to ANY type of make-believe that they can come up with.  Everything from the ducks in the tub to their carrot sticks at lunch become members of some sort of family.  I’ll hear the girls calling “Mom, I NEED you!” only to run up & find out that Sage’s Barbie was needing to be rescued by her mother, Makenna’s Barbie.  I am also constantly entertained by the dialogue that ensues at mealtimes between Kenna’s character cup and Sage’s (Belle talking Ariel into taking a bite of dinner, or Mickey informing Pluto that he does not like mushrooms, unlike Sage who “loves” them…along with every other food she puts in her mouth!). It is quite amusing! 

Anyway, overall I am so very grateful for my imaginative little girls and hard-working husband.  I always know that no matter what, those 3 will be there to cheer me up when I’m feeling stressed.  I love my family!

Playing "Diego & Alicia"

Kenna practicing taking pictures with our camera - I think she's getting pretty good at it!



Kenna got to bring home "Clive" from preschool. She was so excited about it! (and she really wanted to take a picture feeding him an apple) (??)
Nate and I in the beautiful Portland Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment