.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Snow Day!

Today Eugene gave us a little taste of home…a snow day!  In the few years we’ve been here, we’ve experienced Oregon “snow” (which truly was nothing more than a dusting), but today we got the real thing!  I woke up and got all ready for work and just as I was heading out the door, Nate said, “What does the weather look like outside?  I just got an email from the school saying the University has a delayed start by 2 hours”.  I opened the blinds and was amazed to see no less than 6 inches of snow piled everywhere!  (We don’t watch the weather much!)  I figured I had still better go to work, so Nate trekked out with me in his PJ’s and helped clear off my car.  Of course every radio station was reporting which schools were closed for the day (every single one for miles), what accidents were on the road (literally hundreds) and encouraging everyone who did not HAVE to go anywhere to stay home.  This is what happens when snow hits a city that does not own snow plows. :)  Thankfully I did make it in safe to work (lots of practice with snow driving!), but on the way I saw many on the roads less fortunate than I.   The funny thing was that all the nurses and every patient made it in, but only one doctor and none of the office staff.  Shows who cares most about the appointments. :)  It was an interesting day!

Makenna and Sage were scheduled to go to their LAST day at Moss Street today.  They even went shopping with Nate last night & picked out treats to share with all the friends in their classes, as well as colored pictures for their teachers.  Both teachers also had plans for “farewell parties” for the girls.  But of course, school got cancelled.  Bummer!  Luckily Nate’s classes were also cancelled so he was able to stay home with them while I was at work.  How could the girls be disappointed about not going to school when they get a day home with dad instead?  He did not disappoint!  They started out the morning building a snowman, followed by hot chocolate (yes…before breakfast!) and then warming up by the fire while watching a movie.  It just doesn’t get better than that for a 2 & 3 year old!  One funny story: Nate was out talking to our neighbors Melinda & Virginia just after I left for work when the girls woke up.  They came running out the garage door yelling “SNOW!”  (You’d think it was Christmas or something!)  Nate told them before they could come outside they needed to run up & grab their coats and boots.  A few minutes later, Sage came waltzing outside…in ONLY her coat and boots.  Pajamas and underwear had been removed and she was ready for some snowman action in her birthday suit.  :)  Guess he couldn’t argue, she HAD done what he asked!  The neighbors got a pretty good kick out of that one!  Unfortunately the camera was in my purse so Nate’s phone had to capture the excitement of the morning.  They sure had a great time.  I got home just after noon & Nate headed off to school so the girls and I got to enjoy a little more of the snow day together.  I’m sure it’ll all be melted in a day or two, but we sure had fun while it lasted! 

On a side note, today was also my last day of work (hence the girls’ last day in daycare).  It felt strange saying goodbye to my sweet coworkers and thinking that most likely I’ll never see them again.  I have been so blessed to have such a great job that has been so perfect with hours so I could be home most of the time with my girls, but also allow them some fun times at preschool.  Not to mention the financial benefit of being able to avoid significantly higher debt from law school.  I had the privilege of working with some fabulous people and I will miss it a lot.  That being said, I am very grateful for the time ahead that I’ll be able to focus solely on getting our house ready to sell and spending as much time as possible with my two children…before that number becomes three!  

Since I was lame enough to accidentally take the camera with me, I thought I'd better share my view on my way in to work.  Crazy weather!
From Nate's Phone:
Our awesome snowman!

 Warmin' up by the fire!

 This is what you get to do when Dad's home...Spoiled!!

No comments:

Post a Comment